The Quick Guide to Uploading Your Manuscript
You can upload your book manuscript file as either a Word document, RTF document or PDF to publish. FeedaRead currently supports 5x8 inch books and also 6x9 inch books - with more options coming soon.
Below are a list of correctly templates which can be downloaded for you to paste in your manuscript - ensuring it is exactly the right size for printing. Click a size/format to download directly to your computer.
Once downloaded, simply paste your book into the template and edit pages to where you want them to be in the template. Then, login to the site and click Begin Publishing or click Create a New Book. If you have already started creating a book then login, click My Books on the left hand menu, then click Edit next to your book title and View/Change next to Book Interior to upload your manuscript.
Books are printed according to an author's own editing so please ensure the book you upload is set out as you want it to be printed. Please note we don't edit, add to or subtract from the manuscript you upload so please be sure to include all book content you wanted printed in the manuscript you upload including a book title page and copyright page. Example of a copyright page is below and is included on our manuscript templates above if you are using one of our site templates. If your book’s word count is over 90,000 words we recommend you publish at 6 inches wide x 9 inches high but it is your choice.
If you wish, you can also create a PDF file yourself and upload your PDF by logging in and clicking on your My Books page as above. The submission requirements for PDF files are below if you wish to upload a PDF for your manuscript, please follow these carefully.
Once you have uploaded your book file to us as above, you can continue the publishing steps on FeedARead, including to create a stylish book cover through simple steps in our cover creation program, and you can set your book price and royalties. Simply login to FeedARead and click on My Books on the left hand menu. Then click the Edit button next to your book title and click on the publishing steps you have yet to complete to continue publishing.
Book Manuscript Preparation Requirements - More Details - Please Read The Following Checklist Carefully:
- Your book must be a minimum length of 20 pages and maximum 750 (the minimum for your spine text to be able to appear on your book is 70 pages). A page is a single page of print.
- Books are printed with color covers and black and white interiors
- 5 x 8 books and 6 x 9 books
To publish as a 5 inch wide x 8 inch book, or 6 inch wide x 9 inch high book, your book manuscript file must be set up by you with a page size that is 5 inches wide x 8 inches high, or 6 inches wide x 9 inches high, depending on which of the publishing sizes you choose. You can download a correctly sized template as above to paste your book into: the template has correct margins, and then edit so that pages are where you want them to appear in your book.
- Once you have downloaded the template for your chosen book size as above, paste your book manuscript into the template, and then edit so that pages are where you want them to be in the book template and upload as outlined in the first paragraph above. To paste your manuscript into one of the templates above, open your manuscript document on your computer and select Edit then Select All from the top menu in Word for your manuscript, then select Edit and Copy from the top menu in Word. Then open the publishing template you downloaded above and click Edit and Paste from the top menu in Word to paste your manuscript into the correctly sized publishing template. Finally, position pages in the correctly sized publishing template where you want them to appear in your printed book.
- If you prefer to size your own document correctly in Word, open your book file in your word processing programme, then, from the top toolbar on your word processing screen, select File, then select Page Setup then Paper and then select 5 inches for width and 8 inches for height for a 5 x 8 book (this is 127 mm x 203 mm if your word processing programme sizes in milimetres) or select 6 inches for width and 9 inches for height for a 6 x 9 book book (this is 152 mm x 229 mm if your word processing programme sizes in milimetres). Consult the help menu in your word processing program if different from the above for details of how to copy, paste and size your document.
- Ensure your book title page and first chapter starts on odd numbered pages whether these are numbered or not in your book manuscript. The templates at the top of this page have page numbers added already. All odd pages in your book manuscript (1, 3, 5 etc) whether numbered or not are right hand pages in the printed book - i.e. the front of a page. All even pages in your book manuscript whether numbered or note are left hand pages in the printed book - i.e. the back of a page. So for example chapter one normally starts on an odd page. Your book title page is usually just your book title and author name, view other books or download a template above for how your book title page can be presented as required. It is the author’s responsibility to edit their own book, so please be aware that any page which falls on an even page in your book, for example the second page in your book manuscript, whether numbered or not, will be a left hand page in your book i.e. the back of a page. Any page which falls on an odd page in your book, for example the third page in your book as above, will be a right hand page in your book i.e. the front of a page.
- The correctly sized publishing templates that you can download from the first paragraph at the top of this page already have correct margins added. If you are choosing to size your margins manually however, your book interior margins should be at least .5 inches (half inch) on all four sides. You can download a correctly sized template as above which has these margins already added. Or, to size your own margins correctly in Word, open your book file in your word processing program, then from the top menu toolbar select File then Page Setup then Margins and then select .5 inches for the Top, Bottom and Left and Right Margins of your document. Consult the help menu in your word processing programme if different from Word for details of how to set margins.
- The correctly sized publishing templates that you can download from the first paragraph at the top of this page already have a correct gutter added. If you are choosing to size your document yourself however, you should also add a ‘gutter’ to your file. You can download a correctly sized publishing template as above which has this already added. Or to add your own gutter correctly on the Margins page in Word, outlined in the above paragraph, add .25 next to ‘gutter’ (quarter inch), and then next to ‘Multiple Pages’ below ‘gutter’, select ‘mirror margins’. This helps print appearance on paperbacks by ensuring that text is not too close to the spine. Consult the help menu in your word processing programme if different from Word for details of how to set margins.
- The correctly sized publishing templates that you can download from the first paragraph at the top of this page already have page numbers added. If you are choosing to prepare your own correctly sized manuscript however then include page numbers, preferably with no number on first page (use insert/page numbers in your word processing programme). You can download a correctly sized template as above which has page numbers already added.
- Ensure that the last page of your book is numbered
- Please do not upload password protected documents
- Images within manuscripts. Ensure any images in your manuscript are at least .5 inches (half inch) from the outer sides of the page. For best results, images should be of a good quality and have high resolution for printing. Continuous tone images are recommended for submission as 8-bit, grayscale. Black-and-white images are recommended for submission as 1-bit, black-and-white. Grayscale: For best results, all images within manuscripts should be converted to grayscale by authors before submitting. Images submittted in a file as RGB or CMYK will be converted to grayscale when printing–this can sometimes cause a color shift. Any dissatisfaction with color shift will be the author responsibility.
- The correctly sized publishing templates that you can download from the first paragraph at the top of this page already have a copyright page added. If you are choosing to add one to your manuscript yourself, then usually the copyright page will be on the back of your book title page - add by typing/pasting one into your book file, example below. You can download a correctly sized template as above which has a copyright page already added. Please be sure to add a book title page and copyright page as books are printed solely according to the manuscript you upload, we don't add or subtract to your manuscript so ensure your book is uploaded exactly as you want it to appear in print with regard to all content, including book title page, copyright page, page editing and numbering etc. It is not legally required to add an ISBN on your copyright page if you are intending to distribute your book to booksellers as the ISBN will be added by the printers on the back of your book to your book's barcode.
Example of Copyright Page
Add the Copyright Page to the back of your Book Title and Author Name page, and add your author name next to the Copyright symbol on this page in your book manuscript where it says ‘The author as named on the book cover’ in the example below:
Published in 2017 by FeedARead Publishing
Copyright © The author as named on the book cover.
The author(s) assert the moral right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author(s) of this work.
All Rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means without the prior written consent of the publisher, nor be otherwise circulated in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is published and without a similar condition being imposed on the subsequent purchaser.
British Library C.I.P.
A CIP catalogue record for this title is available from the British Library.
Once you have uploaded your book file to us as above, you can continue the publishing steps on FeedARead, including to create a stylish book cover through simple steps, and set your book price. Simply login to FeedARead and click on My Books on the left hand menu. Then click the Go button next to your book title and click on the publishing steps listed that you have yet to complete to continue and complete publishing.
Style Tips – Not Compulsory
- Start all new chapters on a fresh page following the end of the previous page, separated by page breaks (usually found in insert/break on your word processing menu toolbar)
- It is recommended to use a standard font and size, such as Times New Roman, font size 11 or 12
- Recommended to ‘justify’ main body text so lines up evenly at both side (usually format/paragraph/alignment/justified on the top word processing toolbar)
- Recommended to add insert to first line of each new paragraph in main body text. You can do this by using the tab key at the start of each paragraph, or by adding 0.5cm (usually by format/paragraph/special/first line on your top word processing toolbar)
Once you have prepared your Word file as above then Login, click the Go button next to your book title, and click View/Change next to your Book Interior to upload a manuscript file.
Manuscript PDF File Creation Instructions
Creating your own PDF is a good option as it can be a very quick process and creates direct from your own computer which helps your manuscript appear exactly as you intend.
How To Create Your Own PDF for free
- Option 1
If you have Word 2007, Word 2010 or Word 2013 on your computer then you can create a PDF in seconds. Please be sure to follow ALL of the following instructions in this paragraph as it you don’t follow the Options instruction in this paragraph then your fonts will not be embedded as required by the printers to publish your book. First, ensure that your Word manuscript is the correct publishing size that you have chosen of either 5 inch wide x 8 inch high, or 6 inch wide x 9 inch high. See the top of this page to download a correctly sized Word template to paste into if required. Then, in Word 2007, Word 2010, or Word 2013, open your book manuscript file and click File from the top menu in in Word, then click the Save and Send option you will see, then click the Create PDF Document option. A box will appear for you to save your PDF. First, click Options on the box, and from the options select the box that says (PDF/A) compliant, then click OK. Then enter your book tile in the File Name box you will see and finally click the Publish button. This will then create a PDF for you. Once you’ve checked the PDF – open the PDF in Adobe Reader on your computer to view - click the button to create a new book on FeedARead once joined, or if you've already started adding details of your book then login to FeedARead, click the Go button next to your book title, and click View/Change next to your Book Interior to upload your PDF manuscript file.
Important Note: Creating the PDF as above will embed all fonts in your PDF which is necessary for your PDF to be able to be printed. Before you upload your PDF to the site, first check to see if you have embedded fonts after you create the PDF by opening your PDF in Adobe Reader (also free to download, search 'Adobe Reader' on Google if you don't have Adobe Reader on your computer). In Adobe Reader, open your manuscript PDF and click file/properties/fonts on the top menu of Adobe Reader. Every font in your pdf must have ‘embedded’ or ‘embedded subset’ next to it, this indicates they have been embedded as required by the printers.
- Option 2
Once you have prepared your PDF as above, click to create a new book on FeedARead, or if you have already started creating the book previously then: login to FeedARead, click the Go button next to your book title, and click View/Change next to your Book Interior to upload the PDF manuscript file.
You can download OpenOffice for free and create a PDF in seconds. First, ensure that your manuscript is the correct publishing size that you have chosen of either 5 inch wide x 8 inch high, or 6 inch wide x 9 inch high in your word processing programme. Click here to download a correctly sized template to paste into if required. Next, visit the open office website at http://www.openoffice.org/download/. Download OpenOffice and click Run once downloaded. Next, open your manuscript in OpenOffice by clicking File and Open on the top menu of OpenOffice. Once opened, click File again on the top menu of OpenOffice, then click Export as PDF then click the PDF/A-1a box that you will see and be sure to select PDF on the drop down list you will to the right of the PDF/A-1a check box. Then click the Export button. and finally add your book title as the File Name and click Save to create your PDF. Save in an area of your computer such as your desktop. This will then create a PDF for you. Then, once you’ve checked the PDF – open the PDF in Adobe Reader on your computer to view.
- Embedded images in a book manuscript interior file should ideally be a high resolution of 300 DPI and should be minimum .5 inch away from all sides of the page.
- All images should be sized at 100%, flattened to one layer and placed in your native document at a resolution of 300 DPI. Embed all fonts and images in your PDF file.
Once you have prepared your PDF as above then Login, click the Go button next to your book title, and click View/Change next to your Book Interior to upload your PDF manuscript file. Click on My Books on the left menu when logged in to view your books and edit as outlined in this paragraph.